Thursday, September 10, 2015

Day 1: How to bag mask a dying baby while riding in a Tuc Tuc

Nothing in life can prepare you for the day you ride in a tuc tuc bag masking a baby in every effort to save his life.  Absolutely nothing in life can prepare you for the minutes the 3 wheeled mildly powered vehicle bumps in and out of potholes, around cars, bicycles and other motor operated tuc tucs, pedestrians and crowded market shoppers, no doors, sliding from side to side, while holding the new born baby tightly in an effort to keep him warm mostly, and also to prevent his small body from flying out of your arms onto the dug out road with every hard drop into a pothole.  Nothing could have prepared me for the language barrier that I had with his grandmother sitting on my right side, emotionless from her lack of understanding of what is happening, almost nonchalant because of not knowing how "white" this little African baby emerged from his mother’s infected womb.  She doesn’t know how he was not breathing when he was born, she doesn’t know his heart rate was 30 when he was born, she doesn’t know the pus filled meconium stained fluid that came before and after his large body expelled from his mothers small pelvis after great assistance.  Maybe to her it was normal, normal that her daughter or granddaughter, I don’t even know whose grandmother she is, the baby’s or the mother?  But maybe it was normal to her that this mother was in labor since Thursday, today is Tuesday! , in labor for 6 days, then travelled 6 hrs by tuc tuc to the clinic. 

She arrived in the clinic just as I was in the next room with my American attending, talking to midwives about newborn resuscitation, ironically enough.  She commented on expected skin tone, muscle tone, vigor and breathing.  I sat across from the mom who delivered 10 hrs ago, holding her quiet beautiful infant and smiling at the midwives as we demonstrated.  Then in walked the "head midwife" at the clinic to tell us that a patient had arrived "complete and ready to deliver" she says casually and walks back to the delivery area.  Everyone rushed out the room to learn from Dr. C about delivering a baby.  I stayed behind using the huggies wipes I had bought for my own personal use in times of unpredicatable toilette situations, to wipe the dried poop off the little baby boy's bottom and thigh, it's the least I could do as he was so quiet during our demonstration to the midwives during our newborn assessment.  I cleaned the dried green poop from his small bottom and changed him into his reused resale but “new clothing”.  I wrapped him tightly handed him to his mother, with the package of buggies wipes, to which she smiled, and bid her farewell by saying “Merci Madame” and headed to the next room.  I walked in to see about 16 midwifery students surrounding the bed of a laboring mom.  She was 21 years old but looked no older than 17 years old, laying in the bed with her legs shyly opened for delivery.  The word pushed being spoken in three different languages, all out-drowning the other, Dr. C saying "push, push", then translated to french "Pousser" then the Malagasy people yelled " Manilika".  I placed gloves on my hands to try to help Dr. C and hopefully reduced the chaos. But I only added to it, joining with all words simultaneously I  yelled, “Push!”, Pousser! Manilika!  I wasn't sure at the time why we were saying all three words or even which language the patient understood but as I got closer I was stopped in my tracks by the strong stench of infection I smelled coming from the bed where she laid.  The smell of rotting skin or pus collection filled the room.  I made my way over to the young delivering mom's bed,  I wanted to say her name but I don’t even know her name, I am ashamed I don’t know her name, I don’t even know what she wanted to name her baby, my mind wrestles but there is no time for formalities, it was clear that her baby needed to be delivered and soon!

It was her 6th day of labor, with a narrow pelvis, the obviously large baby became wedged tightly in her pelvis, we should have known because as we continued to tell her to push, there was no movement of the baby's head. I placed my fingers at her perineum and yelled “Pousser”, twenty French instructed “Pousser” later, a midwive says, “she doesn’t understand French”.  I become quickly frustrated by how long it took us to realize that and ask, “How do you say push in malagasy?”, that was first translated to french to the midwife by Darwin our french translator and team member, to which the midwife responded “Manilika”.  As the entire room instructed the patient to push, she appeared to be doing so with all her might, but the large infant would still not move. 

Dr. C applied a vacuum we had brought in her back pack for teaching purposes with some maneuver of the labia in the tight area that this baby was expected to come through.  But still even with our American equipment there was no movement.  We don’t have the ability here in Madagascar to continuously monitor the baby’s heart rate like we do in the U.S. but I am certain at this time if we did it would be having a sustained decrease in the heart rate and be in the least favorable category.  She called for a pair of scissors, which like every other request resulted in a frantic run outside the delivery area to return what seemed like 10 minutes later.  An episiotomy was made to create more room for this clearly large baby, and with the vacuum, pressure on the patient’s fundus (belly) the infant was expelled in a pool of the baby’s poop and pus. 

I stood still thinking why is this baby gray, literally gray! This baby should be another color besides gray, I am sure of it.  I run around the bed to the baby’s head and start rubbing the baby vigorously, “Stimulate, stimulate, stimulate”, okay what else did you learn from that “Neonatal resuscitation course you took more than a year ago, come on think!”.  The nurses or pediatric team was always at the delivery waiting to take the baby back at the hospital where I work in the U.S., I realized then I had not been practicing the skills I once knew so well.  “You know this, wake up! Heart rate, breathing!”.  Dr. C is steps ahead of me, and checks the baby’s heart rate and counts it as “30 bpm”, I start bag masking as she gives compressions.  A midwife walks over with what looks like a silver blow horn puts it over the baby’s mouth leaving the nostrils uncovered.  She  blows into it with all her might and out of the baby’s nose comes meconium and mucous.  There is chatter and laughter in the background, the others aren’t as frantic in what is likely a familiar situation, neonatal and maternal sickness and death is seen far too often for the Malagasy people to be alarmed.  Dr. C stops her from re-using the blow horn (later I realized it was an old fashion obstetrical stethoscope now being used in a new way) in fear of her forcing all the mucous and stool into the babies lungs.  The midwife then throws alcohol on the baby’s chest, just missing his mouth and starts vigorously rubbing the baby and pinching him.  Dr. C and I look at each other and then resume bag masking after now realizing the baby's HR is normal.  Somewhere in between our researched and implemented neonatal resuscitation and the local medical practices of the midwives the infants color was slowly retuning with tiny sporadic shortened cries.  We wrapped the baby in a small flimsy thin blankets and I hopped in the tuc tuc waiting outside.  I hop in and Darwin stuffs a wad of ariary 10,000 dollar bills into my pocket. 


On the way to the hospital, I continued bag masking the baby while occasionally turning him and patting his back firmly to help dislodge any mucous and to essentially perform chest physiotherapy as I would occasionally see the nurses do when I looked over while caring for a mom in the delivery room back in the U.S.  As the tuc tuc fell into pot holes the baby muttered little cries.  In that moment, my eyes began to well up, I held my tears back and said “keep fighting, you’re a fighter, I know it little guy”.  I looked into his now opened eyes with a male midwife bent over me now bag masking the baby occasionally to keep him breathing while I kept him warm.  We made it to the hospital, seconds later the pediatric consultant arrived.  We exchanged information regarding the patient in the little English she knew and the little French I knew.  She then says “bien, it’s okay now, you can go”.  I went to the pharmacy and paid for the medicines with the money Darwin had stuffed into my pocket.   I thanked the midwife, gave the grandmother more money for medicines and walked away knowing she didn’t understand what happened and being totally incapable of comforting her in any other way.  I rubbed her shoulder, smiled and walked away.  I hopped back into the tuc tuc waiting outside and retuned to the clinic.  On the way back I rustled with the motion of the vehicle, stunned and overwhelmed with self-evaluation, nothing could have prepared me for this, I couldn't help but wonder, "Am I really ready for this?!"



 Riding in a bicycle Tuc Tuc on the way to the hospital.
Mother we delivered is doing well. We go to the hospital to give her the IV antibiotics we bought ourselves, since she is just staying in the Pediatric unit. 


 Our little fighter is hanging in there.
 Dr. C, overseeing everything.
Traffic in Tomascina.

No comments:

Post a Comment