Saturday, February 8, 2014

Proost!!! To Amsterdam, All Things F-U-N!

As a med student fitting in fun into your schedule, is something that often requires some manipulation, trickery, and ... you get the point.  So when we were told that we were allowed to get 3 days off for the month, I quickly requested days off so I could spend 4 of them exploring Amsterdam before I would arrive in Kenya.  Traveling Amsterdam was never really one of the "most desired places" on my list to travel, as it has always been advertised as simply a place you go to lose all your morals.  Being the good girl I was raised to be, I figured I would avoid temptation.  Here I stand corrected, well not about the morals part, losing them is pretty darn easy there, but but but there is more, so much more than that.  In this blog I would love to share with you my top 5 tips for traveling to Amsterdam.  Well, some will be tips, others things to think about, and must see locations.

Heineken Museum
 #1: Cautiously select your traveling partner.
Four years ago when I traveled Europe as my pre-starting-med-school trip to myself, I met a young man at an entrance to a historical church that tourist frequent.  He stopped me at the gate and told me that my bare shoulders were apparently too sexy to enter the church and so I needed to cover up more before entering.  And I bet you didn't know shoulders were sexy huh?!  Well I stood there mocking him as the other guests arrive pointing out a bare shoulder or two, visible neck line, etc, and he softly told me that the Cathedral would be closing soon, and if I wanted to go in, I'd better get something to cover up soon.  After our not so agreeable initial encounter and me finally purchasing a T-shirt to cover my shoulders; he offered to take me around Rome, and although you should not engage strangers while traveling because of movies like "Taken" etc, I did (hey, don't judge, I hadn't seen the movie).  Well we had an almost movie like exploration of Rome, hopping on and off buses, enjoying a real italian meal of Zuppa Toscana, and seafood fettucine alfredo (with Octopus, I couldn't eat it), and ending the night with dancing and great music.  So when I decided to go to Amsterdam, I saw no reason not invite my new friend who I had kept in touch with over the years through phone calls and skype.  Overall, we had an exciting but challenging, interesting but chaotic time in Amsterdam.  Which brings me to tip #1.  When exploring a new place, I think the best traveling buddies are your friends ("ur boys or ur girls"); unless you are planning to make this a romantic getaway, don't bring the other half or someone who unbeknownst to you is attempting to be your other half.  Our trip together became a little challenging & chaotic because we may have been on very different wavelengths, but....l leave the rest to your imagination.


One of many Squares...

 #2: Pack your bags, get ready for Style/Fashion/Attitude!
Some of the coolest Muzungus(Kiswahili for White people) I have ever seen had to be in Amsterdam.  It was like, white people, with these urban attitudes, wearing Timberlands and Adidas, funky colored tights, and crazy color blocking.  In addition they had Rhythm!!!  Yes to Music!!!  We went dancing and I was amazed by the way both the guys and the girls whine there waistline like they were Caribbean or African descent to music that was a combination of hip-hop, reggae, reggaeton, swirled in Techno.  My anthropological, culturally engaged mind was blown.  So if you're going to Amsterdam, find a great way to combine comfort & style, and sprinkle a lot of attitude on it!
Famous Flower Market

In front of the Rijksmuseum

Rembrant Plein

 #3: Plan Maximum fun with minimal Zzzzzz (Sleep)
Well, if you must sleep or keep your belongings somewhere (it would be kinda cool to just travel with all you have on, but the word gross comes to mind), here are my recommendations on where to stay.  If you can afford the few extra hundred dollars, stay in Amsterdam central, the train station, Trams and Metro are what you will wake up, leaving open the option to go where ever you want whenever you want.  Not to mention, eat, sleep, and play in the middle of the action.  I stayed at Ibis Hotel (airport) and it was lovely, but required a shuttle to the airport, train to Amsterdam Central and then onto the Tram to explore but it saved me a few hundred dollars, and traveling on public transport is relatively cheap.  So do whichever way, yuh pocket say!!!  There are options for all budgets.

Just thought this sign was funny...yes it was a restaurant... lol

Yum... french onion soup!

On Tram...comfortable/high tech/cool ride

 #4:  You packed, you've booked your hotel, now what to do?!
Must see locations in Amsterdam will differ based on who you ask but my recommendations are to get the Amsterdam city pass, it allows you to see many museums free or discounted, get a free canal cruise, go to the famous Heineken museum, and take public transportation (excluding trains for free).  Must see are the Rijksmuseum, Van Gogh museum (go on an evening it turns into a Jazz lounge), spend a day in Rotterdam (apparently one of the top 52 places in the World to see, but who knows who made that list...), Leids plein, rembrant plein (both for restaurants and dancing), Dam (red light district, coffee shops if that's your thing).

One of many interesting mirrors in random locations, this was on a building at the Train Station.

 #5: Last but definitely most important - Keep ur eye on the lookout!!!
Open your eyes! Amsterdam is beautiful... beautiful art, architecture, and people.  Ladies, ladies, hmm hmm hmmh! The boys of Amsterdam get my best ratings on looks so so so cute.  Shout out to the blue-eyed cutie I met out, Bas (am sure he won't ever read this) but even another reason to chose your travel partner wisely (wink wink).  As a matter of fact, I am already planning, if my girls and I are single in a couple years, definitely making a girls trip to Amsterdam.  Yeah guys the girls are hot too.  No matter what your reason is for going to Amsterdam, there is much to see, and much to do, so get to planning.

Check out these kicks...

On the Canal...

Next blog on my Kenyan arrival and early happenings to come soon! :)

(I apologize for any incorrect grammar that is contained within this blog, as I am not an English major, and want my blog to appear to readers as if we are in a one sided conversation, where I am the only one talking, jk, I hope you enjoy)

Kwaherini Rafiki (Friend)

~Sash


No comments:

Post a Comment